12 August 2010

NECROMANCY


1989 was well before my first stint in the Bay Area started, but if I had been here I probably would have taken in all the NECROMANCY I could get. A hardcore attack with the slightest hint of crossover thrash undertones (my guess is the drummer, the dude has outrageous chops and he wears gloves), these kids dole out a furious mix of breakdown heavy NYHC, tuneful Bay Area punk and late '80s southern California hardcore. There are bass lines worthy of Lookout Records superstars, but NECROMANCY burst out of the melodic hooks straight into breakneck thrash...granted it's watered down thrash, but it's fast and the kids could stage dive to it. The vocals make this just a little cheesy, but that was kinda standard procedure for the time - and the thought of a New Wind-era Kevin Seconds fronting a Shoot Guns...-era HALF OFF sounds pretty good, right? Six songs from this Davis quartet, 18 minutes that will likely improve the quality of your day.


5 comments:

SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENTS said...

saw them in 89 i think it was gbh show but not sure.

Andrew Wagner said...

Holy shit! I love that you posted this. Seriously, these dudes had a huge influence on my whole life...ha! It's true. They anchored a great late '80s/early '90s scene in Davis. So much fun to see live and yeah, Lawrence (the drummer) was sick! They were tight! Anyhow, where is the link???? I NEED THE LINK! I used to have this tape and somewhere along the way it's gone missing and it really bums me out. Help me out if you can! thanks!

Andrew Wagner said...

OK, my bad! Found the link...thanks so much for digging this up...Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this it brought back a lot of memories. Jason, Laurence, Jeff and I got to play with bands like Dr. Know, Bad Religion, Fang, Adolescents, Verbal Abuse, Youth Of Today, Angry Samoans, All and 7 Seconds. That experience was priceless and the drive I got from that keeps me playing today. I transferred the demo tape to Protools a few years ago and can email it to anyone that is interested. Bill

Andrew Wagner said...

Hey Bill! Would love to get the files as this download seems to be giving me problems now. If you can, email it to me at vehiclespace AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks so much. And if you're still playing, I'd love to hear what you've been doing now. Hope all is well...

- Andrew Wagner