24 June 2021

THE STYLISTICS



The smooth croons of THE STYLISTICS will indeed make you feel brand new when the harp accent sends you into the second half of the verse in "Tu Me Haces Sentrime Nuevo," and this Spanish pressing just keeps on giving after that. You know the moments; cruising slow on a warm night, necking under a tree (I never did that as a kid, but it is a thing that happened for - and to - a lot of adolescents). Like East Side Story but for the East Coast set - the '70s trying desperately to hold onto the sonic '60s with subtle funk guitars, falsettos and sweeping studio presentations. The appeal of so-called "oldies" is obvious, understandable, and wholly logical. I still want to grind, and I don't want to live in a world without DBeat, neanderthal stomps and harsh electronic manipulations, but then "Terminar Para Empezar" comes on and Russell Thompson, Jr. croons "break up to make up, that's all we do...first you love me then you hate me, that's a game for fools" and it all just kinda breaks down for a minute.

Your lips and my lips - what more is there to say?

No comments: