15 January 2018

FEAR ITSELF


I only knew of their single creamer on the North Atlantic Noise Attack comp before I came across this demo, but that one song was more than enough to get me pretty juiced for what was about to happen to my earholes. So can someone tell me why this band isn't mentioned in the same breath as '80s USHC legends? Maybe it's because they're from South Carolina, maybe it's because the demo came out in 1986, after people's obsession with lightning fast hardcore had begun to wane (slightly), or maybe it's because their logo kinda sucked and would look comparatively lame on the back of a leather jacket. But still....listening 30 years later, I hear some kids bashing out Eye For An Eye caliber 'core with a SEPTIC DEATH ferocity that you rarely come across - distortion by default with vocals barked over blurr-core riffs that are so unbelievably fast. Check the 1:40 mark of "Prelude...Final Conflict" and listen to the low end fall into a crackling rumble, and then listen to the bass break that drops with 13 seconds left in the song. That should be enough on its own, but fortunately the whole fukkn thing is banging. Now I guess I need to come across a copy of the Til Death Do Us Part full length...



10 comments:

HarderThanYou said...

Fear Itself - Til Death Do Us Part

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nwnbeglox7yuz9z/Fear_Itself_-_Till_Death_Do_Us_Part.rar

Honquijote said...

- Thanks for the post...

Anonymous said...

Try to be a bit more creative in your writing and drop the term "Creamer" for fuck's sake.

the wizard said...

When you first realized Minor Threat was really good, you probably listened to Minor Threat a lot. “Creamer” is a great word. It can refer to things that ARE creamy or things that MAKE CREAM. It’s very versatile, and I’m proud to have it my lexicon.

Anonymous said...

I did listen to MINOR THREAT a lot when I first heard them because I was 16 and it was 1982. Creamer is a word, I'll give you that. It is not versatile at all. It is a word that men use to refer to their dicks and as a woman in punk I am fucking sick of it.

the wizard said...

I'm not going to get caught in a vicious web of mansplaining, but if I were to apply to gendered or sexual connotation to the word, then I would NOT associate it with men and their dicks. Nonetheless, point taken.

Anonymous said...

so awesome.
they remember me of NEGATIVE GAIN too.
thanks a lot for the demo, i didn't have it, cheers!

Ryan from SC said...

Does anyone know specifically which city in SC this band is from?

Chris from South carolina said...

Women can cream too.

robashito said...

Mystery. I've only heard of them once I moved to Greenville in 2000.