31 August 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP!


A couple of things about SHUT THE FUCK UP!.....

*I'm pretty sure I only saw them once, and it was in Richmond, Virginia at a poorly attended but exceptionally fun warehouse show on the ARTIMUS PYLE tour in 2002, but that might have been BUCK BUCK. Actually, I think it was BUCK BUCK (also from Arkansas, and also criminally under appreciated), and maybe I never saw SHUT THE FUCK UP! play live....which is a shame.

*Loading out from a show at the Covered Wagon in SF, this wasted dude came up to me and told me (definitely didn't ask me) that I should drive his band on tour because they were punk as fukk and they were going to put out a record and they had a contact in New Orleans and all they needed to do was book a few shows there and a few shows back and that was it and it was going to be really good and I should drive them. I told him I wasn't interested (because ..I mean, would you be?), but obliged him as he slurred about how great his band was. Eventually I asked what his band was called and he said "SHUT THE FUCK UP" and without even taking a breath I was like "dude - change your fucking name, there's a band from Arkansas called SHUT THE FUCK UP! and they are very good. Save yourself the trouble and confusion and change your name before you put out that record. Trust me." Of course they didn't change their name and I imagine more people know about San Francisco's STFU today. 

*I think there is only this demo and one EP for you to dig into, but one listen to the quirky driving basement pv/noise/crust that is SHUT THE FUCK UP! and I think you will feel the same way I do, and you will be happy to have whatever you have. Because this shit is great. 

*Was Dave Dean in this band? Or am I confusing them with BUCK BUCK (again). Man...that Dave Dean dude is nice as shit, and has a wonderful way of making you feel like you totally matter, in a way that is difficult to describe. 




2 comments:

Unknown said...

❤Buck Buck!

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear Shut The Fuck Up (from Arkansas) again. Their 7 inch is still my favorite ever! Wish I knew how to find it again.