28 August 2018

CENTIPEDE


Another stop in the seemingly endless journey through the forgotten and/or forgettable post punk Bay Area. I don't mean "post punk" like the catch-all term that gets attached to any band that sounds kinda lurchy or "angular" (I'm 100% guilty here, by the way) or like they would have been on Rough Trade in 1983 or like they really like THE FALL - I mean "post punk Bay Area" like that time period in the  '90s when bands seemed to have a free license to play whatever they wanted without being confined by the walls and the rules and the arbitrary constrictions imposed by "punk rock" music and/or scene norms. (Whew. That was a lot.) I mean TRAGIC MULATTO and VICTIM'S FAMILY (both arguably on the front end of all this...), but I also mean MAD DRAMA and HICKEY, FALSE SACRAMENT and FAGGZ....everything that was something else, you dig? So I'm not trying to say CENTIPEDE were some essential overlooked powerhouse, but I'm happy to take detours now and then, not just to revisit where we've been, but to appreciate what we have missed. 



2 comments:

Thomas Roark said...

That warp had me thinking a seizure was coming on. And yes that's what it sounds like when I go in, and out. Good share, never heard of them.

Adam P said...

Can't find any info at all on this band anywhere. Tthis is great stuff!