10 August 2013

PANZERBAND


What is it with Germany? The rest of the world has rock, Germany has KrautRock. We have new wave, they have Neue Deutsch Welle. Bands from around the world play punk, yet still there is DeutschPunk. I don't know exactly how to differentiate DeutschPunk from punk, but there's something in the guitars, something in the tempo....and most importantly there is something in the vocals that puts this shit in a different league. PANZERBAND fit the bill perfectly - forceful punk concentrating on the upper register and intelligent intensity. When North Americans espouse the virtues of bands like DILLINGER 4 I just wish that shit sounded like this shit...these are my "poppy" punk bands, bands that have the hooks but still have an attack. PANZERBAND also have a song about how stupid skinheads are stupid, so I'm pretty much on their team.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great demo by they way. DeutschPunk means german punk it's not a style of music.I hate how many labels there are today uk82, anarcho, goth punk, horror punk, hard core punk, crust, metal punk, what the hell everybody give it a rest it's all just punk rock in the end.

peace and beers stay punk joel

the wizard said...

While I agree that there are too many labels and genres and subgenres, and obviously it's all "just punk rock in the end." But I disagree that DeutschPunk is not a style of music (and yes, I know it just means "German Punk")....there is a distinct tone and approach to songwriting that relates pretty specifically to many German punk from the '80s, just as "Kraut Rock" and "Neue Deutsche Welle" are used to describe and categorize distinct sounding rock and new wave bands (respectively) from Germany. Part of the distinction is simply in the language, but bands like SLIME, NORMAHL and RAZZIA absolutely sound GERMAN to my ears, and referring to a current band as "Deutsch Punk" aligns them stylistically with bands of that ilk, which I think is a useful descriptor...