15 April 2014

CLIKATAT IKATOWI


I guess this band is kinda the full embodiment of the California version of '90s emo, right? It's different from DC emo, different from the Northwest emo...they make you wait so long for the freakouts, but when they nail it maybe it's worth the wait? Sometimes chaotic and powerful, and sometimes whiny and off kilter like a PROMISE RING who have lost their way. I remember getting the LP and really trying to like it. I also remember giving up and eventually selling it. I like MOHINDER better, but it's pretty interesting to listen to this analytically with a couple of decades for distance and perspective. Stories, context and anecdotes welcomed...






6 comments:

SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENTS said...

and people say punk is dead then why are there some many punk bands if it was dead it makes me happy see that even 38 years later that punk is still alive and kicking they try to bury it but it keeps coming back as long as we live in a world of shit punk will always be.

Daniel said...

I always liked the name. Kinda makes my teeth itch.

Justin said...

The drummer Mario was fucking incredible! Really creative style. Bad vocals tho. Haven't heard this specific demo but the two Clikitat records I have are good and I still revisit here and there.

Harmonious Dischord said...

I think the drummer played with Robert Crow in Thingy maybe? I liked CI, the live lp was good too, certainly of it's time though, I wouldn't play it much now.

Rajen Bhatt said...

+1 what Justin said. I saw Earthless some time ago and asked him about how he sees the band now and he was like "I just played drums, man."

Unknown said...

Wow, thank you so very much for this! I'm in love with CI!