17 November 2013

BRAINBLOODVOLUME


I came home from work tonight and listened to the new NO STATIK record and got really stoked. Whenever I listen to a new record from a band I play in, I tend to backtrack and get nostalgic...hence today's post. BRAINBLOODVOLUME was a relatively shortlived project that started when two members of REINA AVEJA moved to San Francisco in the late '90s - one of my bands had played with them on their west coast tour and we all got along swimmingly...Becky's husband Jud played the shit out of a guitar, it seemed a logical grouping and so we made some magic. We never made any records (there were a few CD only compilation tracks) but we recorded a few times and this tape is the result of my favorite session. After more than a decade I am still quite pleased to hear some of these tracks - Jen's vocals are legitimately fierce, and Becky's drums are devastating...if only we had been financially reckless enough to put these tracks to wax. Someone else should tell me what genre this falls in to, because although we were referred to as stoner rock at the time (it was the genre descriptor du jour for any band that was heavy) I don't think that really suits the sound...

After we split up, three of us started LAUDANUM, and after I left the Bay Area, the guy who recorded this session joined LAUDANUM on bass. And LAUDANUM are playing their last show in a few weeks, so I guess this is timely for a few reasons...

No comments: