28 April 2013

NO REFLEXION LEFT


The guitarist from NO REFLEXION LEFT dropped me a line out of the blue a couple of weeks back, and the email made me dig out the NO REFLEXION LEFT demo I snagged when WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? played with them in Paris in 2003. I kinda miss the fastcore explosion of the early '00s - the energy was positive, and so many of the bands were as serious about the bigger picture as they were about thrashing hard, wilding out in the pit or looking the part (don't get me wrong, thrashing, wilding and wearing the uniform were very important aspects of the aforementioned explosion). When NO REFLEXION LEFT screams "No Rules // I Am Free!!" it sounds like they are celebrating something bigger than mindless blast beats or the discovery of an obscure band their friends haven't heard of...this shit really is about punk and hardcore and fastcore and thrash and friends without borders and without boundaries. NxRxL crank out seven of their own tunes and the 7 SECONDS cover that is ubiquitous to this scene as "Sonic Reducer" is to boring bar punk, but the energy is through the roof, the backing vocals are on point and every moment of this demo makes me stoked - even a decade later. I look forward to Mike's new sounds currently headed my way, and rest assured that you will see them here when they arrive.

4 comments:

Patrick M said...

man, you pretty much perfectly summed up how i feel about early 'oos fastcore. can't wait to listen to this!

Anonymous said...

this absolutely smokes- did they ever do anything else?

Castilhos said...

Great post, I know exactly what you felling, I still feel the same when I heard my old demos from my high school punk band

Anonymous said...

No they never made anything else after that demo. The band then morphed into Dis Youth Army and then Skit Youth Army, which you can find on some other blogs, I guess.