01 March 2013

GOSPEL MUSIC FOR DOUBTERS AND HATERS


It should go without saying that I have no love whatsoever in my heart for religion, organized or otherwise. I suppose I could launch into a sideways missive about self determined distinctions between religion and spirituality and blurt out some backwards ass justification for the latter and its personal implications while still maligning the former, but that's a waste of time and really nothing more than pointless semantics. I'm guessing my pal Dan feels basically the same way, but I am happy that he also does not deny the unbridled power of so much spiritual music (take the terrifying audio near the end of THE PILGRIM TRAVELERS track - will give you chills if you listen in the dark) and has complied ten tunes on one informative introduction to the American gospel. Gospel Music For Doubters And Haters concentrates on African American christian sounds (lots of creepy baptists in the mix here) and features swingers like THE CARAVANS, the superb "Get Back Satan" from the PINEY GROVE SPIRITUAL SINGERS and the slow sultry SENSATIONAL NIGHTINGALES track. Then there are THE SOUL STIRRERS (featuring a pre mainstream Sam Cooke) with a nine minute testimonial, SHIRLEY CAESAR (she one ups with a ten minute burner), passionate American blues from JOE TOWNSEND, and the eerily serene LARSCENE TURK. Some of the recordings suffer from age (and from what would be over-partying were these hardcore slabs), but the intensity is not lost - and if this doesn't convert the doubters and haters, then I guess there's no saving you...so I'll see you in hell.

The man responsible for this tape is also responsible for THE MANUAL AND THE MACHINE. He can be found here and this is his preface to the cassette:



4 comments:

AG said...

BAD-ASS, thank you for this. Might I also suggest Sister Ernestine Washington (particularly the track/s "Holding On" Pts. 1 & 2) fans of this stuff.

yellow.eyes said...

Thanks for this, crust/thrash blog overlord. I also recommend "American Primitives, vol. 2: Pre-War Revenants, 1897-1939." It's out of print so look for a d/l link (I'll try to rip it to share). Oh, also, it's on CD.

Unknown said...

God has smiled on me by Sensational Goldenaires

Christina said...

THANK YOU, this is what winter music is all about