16 May 2014

FUNCTIONARY


On the surface, these are primitive electronic/synth sounds, but FUNCTIONARY weave them together to create something that doesn't sound even remotely dated. Not far removed from GOBLIN and film soundtracks, but just as much in line with rudimentary dance music...classification is secondary when the aura is this demanding. On the one hand, if you told me this was a thirty minute chill out come down at the sunrise conclusion of a beach rave, then I wouldn't argue, but I feel like FUNCTIONARY are smarter and more calculated than that (even if they aren't, the tape still rules hard)...but on the other hand I feel a quiet focus that makes me believe that not a single blip or whirr is out of place here. A casual and subdued calculation perhaps...but listen to the segue from the fourth track to the 11 minute closer and you won't care what the motivation was - you'll just be glad that it exists.

In the world on "clueless and/or on-a-whim" purchases, this one lands on a pretty short list. Sitting in a tape bin full of mysteries at a shop in Baltimore, this one just seemed worth trying...glad I did.


10 comments:

mike.m. said...

no link?

the wizard said...

Problem solved. Thank you.

mike.m. said...

and thank you more.

Anonymous said...

problem ...exacerbated!!?

Anonymous said...

Link down again..

the wizard said...

Curses! Problem....solved?

https://mediahitsblitz.blogspot.com/ said...

It looks like they want people to sign up for an account, for this link only. I'm not ready for a commitment.

Anonymous said...

Seems like there is something wrong with the link for this one.

O M said...

Hey, when I click on the link I just get a log in window. New link?

the wizard said...

This must be one of my most maligned posts ever. Re-ripped, re-zipped and re-uploaded. Good luck.