23 January 2023

SCUM OUT

 

The first time I went to Europe was for two consecutive tours. almost five months in total. If I could do it over again...more shows in the former Eastern Bloc countries. We played Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary, all of which were (and are) very much on the "circuit" for bands touring the EU, but further off that circuit there were ferocious scenes. Young scenes. Passionate scenes. Wild and dangerous shows. I don't mean to romanticize the "other" or to make something seem exotic just because it's far removed from my reality, but there's a wild difference between an organized matinee gig in Groningen (which was awesome) and an illegal gig promoted by word of mouth and held in defiance of local cops and nazis. It's just a different experience altogether, and I think the intensity of the latter translated into the recordings of bands from the era. Enter SCUM OUT - early century dual vocal anarcho/activist fastcore/crust from Minsk, Belarus. I think they were finished by 2003 so I wouldn't have seen them anyway, but one of the vocalists went on to JIHEART and the CD that Refuse put out in the mid '00s is (still) a killer...I digress. 


No comments: