09 March 2022

ZERO HOUR

 



ZERO HOUR were so fucking good. There was a time in the mid-1990s where I think FUCKFACE pretty much only listened to the APEFACE split, Trained To Serve and Rebel Sounds Of Shit And Failure, and I still spend time with all of that music on a regular basis. Whisper's vocals are the perfect collision of shrill urgency and harsh, determined screams - Stacy (MANKIND?) is maybe the closest era-appropriate vocal comparison, but ZERO HOUR were so undeniably East Bay (ECONOCHRIST drummer Markley's presence on these songs cannot be ignored) and their intensity always seemed to be darker, directed toward inner torment instead of general injustice. Chris unearthed this tape a few months ago, well worn and pretty destroyed in places, but many of the tracks from the split and the self titled EP are in excellent form on this January 1994 rehearsal, along with a couple I don't recognize...and if nothing else, it made me pull out all of those records. Again. 


1 comment:

Neolithic Mind said...

Brilliant! My Zero Hour vinyl is languishing in moving boxes, pending me finding a new home...and having just moved away from Oakland I find myself sorely missing that town's mixture of chaos and freedom. Fantastic that this tape survived the years, big ups for sharing.