07 March 2022

CRACKS

 

I've never heard another band like CRACKS. I've heard US hardcore punk bands before, for sure (and so have you, I'm assuming). I've heard misanthropic outsiders trying to break down the walls that separate them from the cool kids and the taste makers. I've seen great bands that no one gave a shit about and popular bands that sucked. But I've never heard a band that sounded so incredibly and completely like themselves. A background steeped in the classics, a sound that owes to VOID and FLAG and early Touch & Go and sounds completely not at all like any of those things. CRACKS were from Illinois - Roselle, Champaign, Bloomington, Peoria, maybe Kewanee - and always featured Philip Knowles. I tried to join the band around 2006 but I couldn't keep up with Philip (and I lived two hours away) so he recruited a full lineup and kept cranking out primitive awkward hardcore punk recordings well into the 2010s. This is true freak punk...still and always. 



No comments: