06 January 2022

STORM THE TOWER



Fourteen songs from one of the most overlooked Texas exports of the 2000s. While the DIY hardcore world was obsessing over sonic tonnage and relentless Scandinavian DBeats or 'who can play faster' and relentless blasts, these fellows were delivering indescribably powerful and energetic punk led by a guitar that confidently took Mould's proven formula into the new century. Chris was well known for his prowess behind the drum kit (SEVERED HEAD OF STATE, J CHURCH SIGNAL LOST, CRIATURAS and many many more), and I think that STORM THE TOWER was all too frequently described as his "other band" by people who didn't really take the time to dive into the songs. Their loss. All of the fury of the era is there (jam "Ice Age" at volume and tell me I'm wrong), but these songs stick with you for days, and Chris's guitar truly stands out. Two recording sessions on this tape, the 2003 recording that would become the J CHRUCH split (plus a killer INSTIGATORS cover) and the 2002 recording that would become the  Song For FM EP and four more songs that I don't think were released elsewhere....pretty much everything before the 2006 EP on Little Deputy (which is, not surprisingly, also very awesome). I used to fucking love this band. I still love them, but I used to too. 


1 comment:

Chris Catfood said...

yes, love this band! first time i saw them was summer 2003 when they were touring with J church to promote the split LP (also my first time to see J church that night, my life was forever changed). the singer of storm the tower had his dad perform magic between the bands, and later that night the singer quit the band MID-SONG. pretty crazy. saw them again with a slimmer lineup a year later in an austin record store. still great. the J church split is an underrated classic and it's nice to have the other songs here too. i tip my studded cowboy hat to you, sir