03 July 2021

MAXIMUM ERNST

 

I feel like the music of MAXIMUM ERNST is going to be with me for a long time - like I'm going to pop one of their tapes in twenty years from now and I'm going to discover something new, then start sifting through their (already extensive) discography (again) to see (hear) what else I can find. The patience and deliberation required to create something as (theoretically) simple as "Signal Thru Flames," the 18+ minute exercise that starts Time Delay Safe, is worthy of accolades, but listening to them disintegrate that piece and just sink into a distorted minimal techno background cut is listening to a true artist at work. Three movements on this cassette, and I feel like I went to a basement noise gig and then walked out of the symphony an hour later. 

No comments: