20 July 2021

MANNEQUIN

Came across these tacks tacked onto the end of a tape after a KILLING JOKE set someone I have never known made for someone else I don't know sometime in the 1980s, and they hit me hard and fast. San Antonio's MANNEQUIN existed for a blip, self releasing two elusive EPs filled with gloriously airy radio ready, freak friendly synth-pop. Perhaps they were just ahead of their time - lyrically, conceptually - perhaps late 1970s Texas wasn't meant for MANNEQUIN. But these songs....take Paul Weller and Johnny Marr, THE GIRLS (Boston), throw in some Roger Waters and remember that this was recorded in 1981. Fuck. Indescribably brilliant, instantly familiar, and an undeniable conceptual innovation that cannot be understated. I'm almost sad that I wasn't familiar with the band before I played that tape all the way through, but...better late than never. 

MANNEQUIN
...well it often makes me wonder what corporations mean to us...
...when i breathe in that factory air....
...is this the so-called american dream? is convenience worth that much to you?

No comments: