29 September 2020

WASPS // SUBWAY SECT // SADISTIC EXPLOITS

 Three little breadcrumbs left on the ass end of relics from the traders who came before me - the ones who actually put in the work, and were always on the hunt. Two 1983 rehearsal cuts from Pennsylvania's SADISTIC EXPLOITS (the Anarchy For Freedom EP is one record that I want every time I see it, not like a "dude, I desperately need that" want, but more like a "oh yeah, I totally want that" want) and 1977 Peel Sessions from SUBWAY SECT and WASPS. The latter recordings are definitely a few generations removed, but the shrill "Jenny" is worth cranking in any fidelity and "Teenage Treats" is still one of my favorite songs of the era...and this version is a wee bit faster than the EP recording. SUBWAY SECT combine plodding pre-anarcho, pre-goth first wave punk with mid-60s Townsend open chord guitars. It's like anarcho/mod, and I fucking love it. 

SUBWAY SECT // WASPS // SADISTIC EXPLOITS

1 comment:

bat29 said...

I made a Youtube video for the Sadistic Exploits stuff that was available at the time, a demo from 1981 and the practice tape which turns out to be from 1982. Lyrics included for all the songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox7DAgHyHpk

More Sadistic Exploits tapes and videos can be found here: http://freedomhasnobounds.com/category/philly-bands/sadistic-exploits/

Also, the Subway Sect Peel Session was officially released in 1984 and then re-released in 1996.