20 September 2020

TEST DEPT.

 


As a small town kid fiending for new sounds, discovering "industrial" music was like cracking open the dark arts - and it seemed like the two were often interconnected anyway. But making the move from the more commercial, danceable sounds of the then-current records market under the alluring subgenre header to the harsh and primitive origins of the genre was....a challenge. The militant yet accessible stomp of Trudge was easy to get into, which led me to pick up the Tides Of Heaven single (as an exotic import, no less!) on a trip to Denver to visit family. And it hurt me when I listened to it, because I didn't understand. I listened to Towards Thee Infinite Beat, it was trippy and weird and I liked it so I researched...and I was excited when I scored The Second Annual Report on a school trip to Tulsa and listened to "Slug Bait" in the dark...on a school night. As a small town kid, these are formative events. Sonic landmarks. Hearing SLEƎP CHAMBER as a virgin. These things stick with you. I knew the name TEST DEPT. for years before I was able to spend any time with their output, and even though access is virtually unlimited in the New Era, they are a band that has remained on my mental back burner. Recently, our friend Scott hooked me up with a few tapes when I helped him move, and I was able to sit down with this recording from their 1985 European tour. Back burner no more, I am fucking hungry for this. Feed yourself. 


Everything about this release is superb. The presentation and the experience. Calculated and primal brutality presented with the highest recommendation. I'm shaming myself for waiting this long, but it might have made it that much sweeter...






No comments: