04 July 2013

7 SECONDS

I make no secret of my affinity for this band, and I'm not even remotely ashamed to say that I can still sing along to most of Soulforce Revolution (though revisiting that record after a decade or so has made me stop asserting that it is a great record - it does hold a special place for me but it's really not that good). Based on notes hand scrawled by an unknown punk from the past, these tracks are demos that predate 1986's New Wind, but I ain't gonna lie and say I'm some expert - these are stripped down (punker?) versions of some killer tunes. I put this period of 7 SECONDS more in line with '90s "personal is political" hardcore than with testosterone fueled '80s USHC, and perhaps that's why this the band resonates with me, even the "bad" records. And for what it's worth, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? blatantly lifted the first riff of the title track (fifth tune on this demo), though I still contend that it was an accident and we didn't realize until it was too late.

5 comments:

G O D said...

with New Wind ,and into Soulforce Revolution,I felt they were trying to go commercial,almost totally aping U2's guitar sounds.Always dug the hc stuff ,but this era was getting kinda sad.New Wind is not bad,in fact I covered a bunch of songs off of it,years ago,I need to upload that at some point.They would still play all the old songs when they swang thru Miami in the early 90's vive le Cameo Theatre!

G O D said...

I must change my above statement,The demos were swell,The New Wind album ,(and the following 12" ep ,Praise) it's not so much the guitar sounds (tho' they play a part) ,it's Kevin's structuring of his vocals,to mimic Bono ,of U2.That's where the total U2 worship is,in his vocal style on these 2 releases.I don't think I ever heard Soulforce Revolution,i pretty much stopped getting their stuff after the Praise 12" came out.I may need to continue my journey into their cannon of tuneage! Thanks here's a cool boot live show I found this morning ,too! it rules! 1984!! http://www.filestube.com/redirect.html?id=6&n=NyBzZWNvbmRzIC0gbGl2ZSAxOTg0LTAzLTI0IGhvbGx5d29vZCwgY2EgYnlvbGR4c2Nob29sLnJhcg%3D%3D&p=7+seconds+-+live+1984-03-24+hollywood%2C+ca+byoldxschool.rar&r=7+seconds+-+live+1984-03-24+hollywood%2C+ca+byoldxschool.rar&h=aHR0cDovL3d3dy40c2hhcmVkLmNvbS9maWxlLzE0MDYzNTQ2My8yOWE5OGRiNi83X3NlY29uZHNfLV9saXZlXzE5ODQtMDMtMjRfaG9sbHl3b29kX2NhX2J5b2xkeHNjaG9vbC5odG1sP2FmZj03NjM3ODI5

yellow.eyes said...

For some reason I was recently reminded of their album (and song) Out the Shizzy. For a short while when I was younger I defended that one. Maybe it was because it was new and I saw them for the first around then? Whatever it was, I was totally wrong. WTF were they (or I) thinking? There must be some sort of inside joke around that--anyway, I've been in the mood to listen to them lately. I'm going to try this but don't anticipate liking it--I'm on the "not so good" side of the fence when it comes to SFR--but we'll see. Thanks as always.

mattack said...

Thanks!
Track 2 & 3 were on the 4 Bands That Could Change the World compilation. I always wondered if there was more from that session.

Anonymous said...

...being in a springlike 7 SECONDS mood recently, it'd be great if you could upload this rarity again - cheers!