05 October 2013

HICKEY


Maybe this should have been the post for yesterday (October 5th), since that's the day that Matty died 11 years ago. But I spent all day today (that's October 5th, at the time of typing) thinking about Matty and HICKEY and a life that seems like it was a lifetime ago, so you get these sounds and these thoughts on the 6th...unless you live in Hawai'i or Guam or some shit. These sounds come from a tape with my handwriting (LOST GOAT, HICKEY, ZZ TOP....seems about right) that was scrawled over Aesop's handwriting (ANTISCHISM, ASSFACTOR 4....also seems about right) - just instrumental rehearsal recordings of a few songs that HICKEY fans know well and a couple of deep deep cuts. In a true demonstration of changing times, I left work tonight streaming the HICKEY 12" via youtube on my employer provided smartphone while riding my bike through a city that Matty would barely recognize, just so I could drink a quart of cheap beer in front of a memorial painted in Clarion Alley. And on my way home after that quart, while "In The Beginning" was blaring out of my shirt pocket, I passed a record store and took a moment to peek inside...the look of disdain I received from the glassy eyed girl sitting out front sucking down a defiant 40oz on a warm San Francisco Saturday assured me that whatever spirit Matty embodied - even if it's not thriving, it's still here. This is the stuff that makes it all seem like it's worth it. It's all special, and it's all important. The sounds are just a footnote...

(L-R): Aesop, Karoline, Matty, Dwight. El Paso, 1996
I swear he wore that shirt for a fukkn year...

7 comments:

.- said...

great.thanks.
cheers from chile.

The Boo said...

Great post - great pic. Is that a Squat hoodie?

yellow.eyes said...

Thanks, Robert.
(Yeah, that's a Squat hoodie: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oAvfnmRfCYw/TMZsdRwqtaI/AAAAAAAADDs/4kFZIQLJj2g/s1600/folder.jpg)

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap.. i forgot about this band.. i Bought The 1st Full length way back in the day.. I Loved it and didnt realize how much until hearing it again all these years later..So cool to hear The demo's thanks for Sharing ..

equalizingxdistort said...

Do you know what the song titles are? Do you know what the demo is called or when it came out?

the wizard said...

Not an actual demo and certainly not properly released, these are just rehearsal and/or home recordings...a perk of being in the right place at the right time.