04 September 2009

NEW ZEALAND MIX

Friday. Last week was an "official" compilation tape from Germany, this time it's a mix tape from New Zealand. The songs on this mix are from between 19878 and '84, and their styles are rather varied. Five killer songs from Y.F.C.'s Between Two Thieves 12" take up side one; angular and quirky, almost post punk, almost arty anarcho weirdness. The sample that makes up the otherwise instrumental track "Lynch" is top notch, and the only bad thing about these tunes is that upon hearing them, I needed to find another record (meaning: I need to find this record). Five bands on side two: SKEPTICS (rather straightforward UK82 style punk from, no surprise, 1982), NO TAG (raucous street punk from their 1983 Oi Oi Oi 12"), two tracks from THIS SPORTING LIFE (rough and dirty punk, reminds me almost of the Australian band X, maybe my top tracks on the mix), and FEATURES (awesome '77 style punk from their 1978 EP).
As you can read on the cover, this was a tape that someone ("S.C.") made to highlight the bands from his/her area, and expose them to someone else halfway around the world. Far be it for me to wax nostalgic for the "old" days (though the days on this tape are way before my time in punk), but there was something more exciting about "finding" or "sharing" a band that you love, as opposed to the modern version of trading URLs. That said, this tape can be downloaded by going to:

5 comments:

SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENTS said...

HEY DO YOU HAVE THE CAUSE VIOLENCE DEMO I THINK I ASKED YOU BEFORE IF YOU GOT IT COULD YOU PLEASE POST IT PEACE.

SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENTS said...

IVE CHANGED MY BLOG NAME TO DISORDER BY DESING

the wizard said...

yeah, I've got it. but I've got heaps of other stuff I'm really psyched about posting all zipped up and ready to go. It's coming...

Henk said...

My winrar say A1 Son Of A Gun is corrupt.


Might be my computer though... Old crappy windows on this one.


Again - thanks!!

Anonymous said...

S.C. ... looks like Simon Coffe's hand writing