22 June 2023

RED MASS

 



Here's the thing: Volume 4. Love & Magik is cool. It's very cool. It's a sultry garage/psych slog that sets a mood and sticks with it, the kind of record your (grand?)parents would have listened to in the woods (if they had record players in the woods) and it would have felt dangerous. But here's the thing...it's not as cool as it should be. Look at that cover - read the damn title for fuck's sake. "Drink My Blood" should be a transformative journey into darkness, instead it's a lurching garage/post-punk jammer that's like, you know, pretty cool. "Black Mass" is the only real burner on the tape and it's shit-hot....but shouldn't that one be creepy as fuck? It's not that I don't like the thing (which is part of a series that does have me curious), but I do...and it's still growing on me a bit as I listen. But sometimes you should be able to admit when you want...more.

No comments: