16 June 2023

JULIA MAZAWA

 

Last weekend I went to a small backyard gathering to celebrate the birth of a very nice dude with an all-over-the-map musical taste that I've always appreciated. He told me he'd been downsizing a bit recently and would I be interested in a bag of tapes....even though he had cannibalized some of the outer cases. My first thought was "uhhh - it's your birthday, dude....but of course" and then my second thought was "damn...my friends really know me." He asked me to let him know if there were any winners in the bunch, and yesterday I sent him a message and said that the first tape I listened to, Julia Mazawa's God Bows To Math was more than just a "winner," it was an absolute stunner. Mazawa's approach to noise (sound) hits like an artist's approach to visceral (visual) media - you can hear them constructing as the pieces progress and at points it's as if you can see the sound. Dark, ominous, improvisational, deliberate...and to think that I only popped this one in first because millenials are bad at math....


 

No comments: