02 March 2016

LLYR


A couple of years ago I bought a stack of bargain bin tapes from a local record store - stuff that was cheap and looked interesting. I basically figured (as I do with bargain bin vinyl) that the time I spend digging and discovering and listening is worth a dollar or two, even if the tape sucks. I probably listened to the shit over a period of a few weeks, just a tape here and there...some good stuff and some clunkers (and as a side note, I am a fan of leaving tapes I don't particularly enjoy in random public places). I bought this one in that batch - kinda interesting if annoyingly self indulgent lo-fi emo/black/ambient metal (how many times do I have to tell you: I cannot intelligently address the subgenre nuances of underground metal)...and it was released on an SF label responsible for some other sounds that I found vaguely interesting....so I used the google machine to find out more, because this is what technology is all about, right? And the the google machine tells me that these monkeys are fukkn nazis. Really? Man, what a bummer. I mean, the sounds here do not even make me feel like I'm extra proud of being white or anything stupid like that, it's just amateurish (and perhaps endearing) self indulgent shits, nothing special - and you can't understand any of the words, so maybe who cares? Well, I care; the shit is stupid. I presented the scenario to my pal Kendall and asked if I could post it, and he said no. But after the sounds hung out on my hard drive for a few months, though I fully respect his opinion, I decided that the tape, presented in appropriate context, was a thing that I was OK with sharing. Be careful, punks, because sometimes even the random things that life gives you for cheap can be very very costly. Download this for the sound if you want, and the sound might appeal to fans of the aforementioned subgenres, but the point I'm trying to make is that They are Everywhere. 


2 comments:

K said...

The title "Undying Solider" might have been a clue to the band's politics...

sarah said...

i respect and admire this post. they ARE everywhere