01 May 2024

THE CALL-UP

 



First thought when I popped in the only release from Oakland's THE CALL-UP was "Damn...I missed another one." Whatever I was doing in 2015, I wasn't seeing this trio in the flesh, and that was a mistake. Second thought I had when I popped in the only release from Oakland's THE CALL-UP was "Damn...this hits me like the first time I heard NEON PISS." THE CALL-UP were harnessing that energy and those hooks and mixing in UK indie/alt by-way-of AIRFIX KITS...a product of their environment perhaps, but also mayhaps a product of the same influences that led to those other (also great) bands. Eight songs here, more than worthy of a full LP release and packed with infectious, angular, laid back, deliberate punk. Whatever I was doing in 2015, I was clearly fucking up. 



No comments: