14 December 2022

HAVE NO PART

 

All I've got is these kids on the flyer for a stacked new year's eve hardcore gig at Che Cafe (OUTSPOKEN, UNBROKEN, STRIFE, MOUTHPIECE...) and this five song tape. It's hardcore - but it's hardcore punk (and yes there's a difference). Even while "Never Withstand" is kicking my ass with a by-the-books breakdown I still feel like I'm listening to a band who avoid the "typical" trappings of generic testosterone fueled 'core. Intentionally or not, this comes off as a sonic bridge joining '90s DIY melodic punk ("For A Moment"), hard moshing hardcore ("Mistaken Identity") and late '80s Southern California SXE ("Have No Part"), and they do it all with a rough 'n loose approach that truly helps this tape feel fresh. Like, I hear hints of LIFES HALT in the opening track and that's gonna perk me up every time. 

No comments: