06 February 2021

TOXIC REASONS

 

Independence, the first TOXIC REASONS full length, is a perfect record, that's just a fact. So today I offer you the opportunity to listen to it with new ears. The ears of a teenager in the Bay Area circa 1982, getting your blank tape ready for the stroke of midnight so you could snag a free dub of the KALX Album Of The Week. You would record every week, just as I did every Sunday at 9pm in Ponca City, Oklahoma - tweaking the knobs just so and trying to decide whether 100.5 KATT from Oklahoma City or 97.5 KMOD in Tulsa was going to have better reception and choosing which album to record based on how they would sound the next day in my Walkman rather that what they were...because I wanted all of them. But the kids tuning to 90.7 in Berkeley every Wednesday weren't getting treated to the (then) new DEEP PURPLE record or some live PINK FLOYD boot like I was...they were getting fucking TOXIC REASONS. Though the whole record is flawless, "Killer" (still) stuns me every time - and I swear there's something extra shit hot about hearing this record like this

No comments: