21 February 2021

PERSONAL STYLE



A relatively recent release, and one that has stuck with me even though (or especially because) it falls well outside of my typical sphere. Buffalo's PERSONAL STYLE are doubtless well oiled and ready, the six songs here are ready for mass consumption, even by commercial standard. But there's a thing buried in their particular brand of hard indie, and you get the feeling that this particular thing that makes them bloom is the very seed from which they have grown. The hiccup in the drums after the chorus in "Bubble Yum," the way the backing vocals haunt the mix rather than dominate it, the single note picking in the chorus of the otherwise hard driving "Defensive," the booming '70s bass rumble - everything is clean, polished, professional...yet it still sounds like punks are behind this. So I guess if it's all a ruse then I'll just tip my hat to PERSONAL STYLE. 



 

No comments: