05 February 2021

MAXIMUM ERNST with DANIEL CARTER

 

I spent some time with the latest MAXIMUM ERNST Menace/Hallmark 12" l last week, a dizzying journey into sound. I don't mean joining forces with sound to take a trip, I mean actual immersion...becoming the piece as the piece evolves. It's beautifully and subtly harsh, truly excellent. Then I revisited the Live At Legion Hall release from 2019, which showcases the duo joining forces with horn player Daniel Carter for thirty minutes of extreme improvisation. It's hard to tell if a free jazz outfit found noise core or if James Blood Ulmer wandered into a WHITEHOUSE session, but these three New Yorkers have nailed their second collaboration so pointedly that I feel their experiment (and the experience) deserves its own title. I was consumed. And then I went back and listened to the 12" again with different ears, because the things these folks are doing right now are....they are something else. 




No comments: