03 June 2020

RAGANA


RAGANA have always sounded to me like the intersection of basement chaos and ritual, though there is arguably considerable overlap. Their first release, 2012's All's Lost, is more primitive than some of their recent offerings, sometimes owing more to early '90s indie than to the doom or atmospheric metal that permeates their later sounds. The monotony of "Canyon" could be an instrumental PUPILS track in places, and the recording sets the guitar above the rest of the mix, forcing the sonic gaze in the direction of those determined deliberations. If nothing else, RAGANA sound pure to me - the music is honest, and All's Lost is perhaps the most stripped down version of that purity, struggling at times to be heard. So....listen. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of these guys before but your description made me curious, and now this is ruling my day. Thanks!