25 May 2020

SOW THREAT // SUSS LAW


I was exceptionally psyched last year when I saw that SOW THREAT were coming to California. Not just because I want to see a whirling stench crust band from Okinawa in the flesh, but also because their drummer is Kiku (ex-ASSFORT, ex-CHARM, CFDv.1), one of the greatest dudes on this forsaken planet. I dropped him a line to tell him I was excited to see him....and alas he's only their local drummer - he moved to Okinawa after the 2011 Tōhoku quake and I'm pretty sure the island life suits him, but I digress. The band...was a filthy, murky, downtuned mess, like ENT through a fog, but with the irreverence of SOCIAL PORKS. I was floored, if there is any justice in the world then the 12" on SPHC will be revered as a classic, and who the fuck bookends a collection of songs like these with damaged Link Wray covers...? SOW THREAT do. Pairing them up with Portland's SUSS LAW was perfect for the tour and for this split - a piercing, hard charging new millennial crust assault drenched in noise. Drums are....well, the shit is fast and everything else is just trying to catch up. Volume, drinking, chaos - not necessarily but very likely in that order. 

While writing this, I read that SOW THREAT guitarist Tamura passed away earlier this month. I met the fellow twice and he was extremely fucking nice.... 

No comments: