05 July 2012

LOST GOAT


I contend that there has never been a band like LOST GOAT. The San Francisco trio played their first show in 1996 with GRINCH and RUDIMENTS, and during their half decade on earth they graced my eyes and ears with some of the most all encompassing musical experiences I will ever have. So many shows, just sitting mesmerized...not sure whether to focus on Eric's nimble fingers or on Tina's deliberate thunderous attack, but usually landing on Erica's incredibly powerful vocals and a subtle stage presence that commanded attention. The music was steeped in '70s rock, but LOST GOAT were just as well versed in psychedelia and punk, and the result was something completely unique and has never been replicated. Through two EPs, splits with fellow San Franciscans TOWEL and GRINCH and three full lengths, I don't think LOST GOAT ever released a bad song. While some of the recorded documents fail to capture the power this band exuded live (their final release The Dirty Ones and this demo come the closest), when they hit on all cylinders there are few bands before or since who can match their power.  I can't compare them to any other band musically, and I can't equate their vibe to any other band I've seen - unbridled bare intensity. They weren't faster, they weren't heavier...LOST GOAT captured your soul. This is their first recording, five songs spanning nearly half an hour.

When we walk we walk with fear, treading heavily on the surface // When we talk we disappear, never listening through the years // When we walk we walk with fear, nestled safely in the knowledge that the world won't change a bit and we won't lose any convenience...

10 comments:

ido said...

Really interesting description for this band. Am looking forward to listening to this. Thanks for always uploading so much stuff.

Clambeard said...

Horns up for Lost Goat! Saw them (and opened for 'em) a few times back in the day. Great band!

Do you have any Towel you can hang up here? Once I had those tapes...once...

Harvester said...

Yes! I love Lost Goat and I've never heard this!

yellow.eyes said...

I (semi) have this great memory of Lost Goat at a Clarion Alley party. I say "semi" because I was fucking wasted, but they slayed. What a great band.

gooniestorm said...

thank you dude!! one of my all time favorites, live they were absolutely transcendent...

brandi said...

Awesome! I used to have this ages and ages ago, but lost it. Thanks for the upload!

(WANING) said...

Thanks. A band I never saw, but always loved.

Unknown said...

Yes, they were an amazing band; good description of their sound. Unclassifiable, but have them alone in a file: raw power/psychedelic.
Was lucky to have assisted Billy Anderson who engineered and mixed Equator at my former studio Division Hi Fi in SF. Memorable sessions and still keep the album in rotation.

Media Hits said...

I first discovered this band in 1999 when they went on tour with Dystopia and played in Minneapolis. What a brutal show, coupled with 2 of the then current MPLS anarcho crustcore bands of the day.

the wizard said...

I was with LOST GOAT for those shows. Weren't actually touring with DYSTOPIA, but played Milwaukee, Madison and Minneapolis together. But yeah, that Mnnpls show was absolutely epic.