20 November 2009

INTENSIFIED

For years I was baffled by the punks' seemingly collective interest in ska and reggae, and then something just clicked. I'm still not a total fan, and certainly nothing approaching an expert, but I've amassed a few records, and I certainly enjoy putting them on from time to time (people still keep telling me that if only I smoked weed, all would become clear...in music and in life, but I digress...).  It shouldn't come as a surprise that in amongst a heap of tapes from an old UK punk were a few ska cassettes, mostly compilations like this one, titled Intensified.  The subtitle, Original Ska: 1962-66, pretty much explains it,  and here is 45 minutes of killer first wave jams to satisfy my self imposed friday compilation obligation.  Skank your week goodbye with the likes of TOMMY COOK, ROLAND ALPHONSO, STRANGER COLE and loads more.


Also, I'm going on a short tour again...leaving in about 10 minutes in fact.  I'll be driving for Oakland's LAUDANUM and BLACK GANION from Nagoya, Japan, and both will be delivering heavy blows to cities up and down the west coast.  Stop by and say hello if you are in the area (or if we will be in yours), and expect another post around Thanksgiving day. Cheers...


4 comments:

SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENTS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

thanks, as always, for your constructive input.

Anonymous said...

the band SPEED TEAM from Sweden,in punk invasion comp.have they more material?eps,demos,lp?

gooniestorm said...

i smoke a shit ton of weed and i fucking hate reggae. having said that,i can get down with some early jamacian ska, it has a sound similar to old soul music which i love. i was also a big ska-punk kid in the early 90s, it started with op ivy but the rudiments were THE band for me that bridged the gap from skankin at gilman to hotrails and heavy metal.
on a completely unrelated note, nathan from laudanum is my next door neighbor, he has a really big dog. have fun on tour.