18 February 2024

MENTAL ANGUISH

 



I dug this tape out of a Portland shop last spring. It was raining that day, and the bloke working in the register didn't say a word the whole time I was in the store....just flipped over a fee jazz record and kept doing something on the computer. I bought a few other things that day, but this is the one that I feel like I walked in for - you know what that's like? As if the other thing that you wanted was actually just a thing that was leading you to this. I can't describe MENTAL ANGUISH, but this dude was on (is on) and entirely different trip. Like a no budget '80s alien movie soundtrack come to life in this realm (Residue is from 1987, so in that realm as well), these are sounds of electronic isolation and theoretical escape. With over 100 releases to his name it's clear that I will never reach the bottom of this well, but I want to meet the MENTAL ANGUISH completist. Space rock for another life - I haven't even scratched the surface, and I still don't know what I walked into that record store to dig for.


No comments: