03 January 2024

PENELOPE HOUSTON & THE BIRDBOYS

 



I heard PENELOPE HOUSTON & THE BIRDBOYS before I heard AVENGERS - I knew that Penelope was noteworthy because of the promo blurbs that came with that first LP, but I didn't have the means to hear this legendary first wave SF punk band so I just imagined what they might have sounded like while I listened to the sweet vocal harmonies and honest acoustic Americana of THE BIRDBOYS. Most of the tracks on this 1987 demo recording made it onto that record and it they still resonate (as do the AVENGERS, of course) even if the sounds are light years from whatever "first wave punk" was supposed to have sounded like. Pay attention to the songs, to the lyrics...listen closely to songs like "Bed Of Lies" and "Putting Me In The Ground" and you'll see why that record landed with a small town Wizard still not old enough to drive. And a lifetime later, it still lands. 

No comments: