26 January 2024

LAMF 45s

It's sometimes harder for me to convince me to pop in something completely at random, but if you don't take some chances every so often then you're either going to leave some killer shit on the table or you're eventually going to be left with nothing but gambles and mysteries. So I try to pepper in the unknowns to spread the joy (or pain) and it seem to be working out pretty well so far. So I pulled out an unmarked tape from a box of live shits earlier this week - no writing on the tape or the j-card, just a TDK S-90 full of opportunity - and I pressed play on that fukkr. There was a hand written insert thankfully, and I quickly learned that I was in for 45 minutes of HEARTBEAKERS outtakes on one side which I can totally deal with....but it was the flip. It's always the mysteries lurking on the back side, right? A collection of stunner proto-punk and sleaze rock 45s was waiting for me there and I had not heard of a single one of them, so I cranked that shit. KILLER KANE BAND (featuring Kane from NY DOLLS and Blackie Lawless from W.A.S.P....in the same band) followed by a solo banger from JERRY NOLAN (from the DOLLS and HEARTBREAKERS) and HEROES (more ex-HEARTBREAKERS). A swanky ass slab from MICHAEL THIMRÉN, famous for work with Nolan and Johnny Thunders but legendary (around TEHQ) for his time in BITCH BOYS leads into the 1984 single from Swedish rockers PILSNER (Jerry Nolan again).The sole 45 from BLESSED wrap the side...but the tape is pretty wrecked by then (probably been rocked too many times) so it'll take serious dedication to make it all the way through. Until you listen to "American Bandstand" and realize that you're hearing snarky punk perfection and you decide you don't give a fuck anymore. About anything. And this......? This is why we put our hands on things we don't know and hold on until we know. 

No comments: