22 September 2021

MEXICAN POWER AUTHORITY

 

If you aren't already familiar with MEXICAN POWER AUTHORITY then this post is going to make your head spin. I would have a hard time identifying a DIY punk band who were more all over the map than this Canadian outfit - there's classic '90s DIY hardcore, wild experimental Fripp freakouts, and there are darker MISSION OF BURMA-esque tracks like "Myomiverse" that should belong in the catalog of a band far more revered than MPA. You'll find comedic grindcore, you'll find irreverence along the lines of SCHLONG and mathy post-hardcore that makes you want to pull out the PLAID RETINA 12". Free jazz. Noisecore. PARTISANS and LED ZEPPELIN covers. COLTRANE's Om condensed to 70 seconds. There are 117 tracks on this tape....don't say I didn't warn you, but if you aren't amazed by the end then I don't know if I can help you. 





5 comments:

Malice said...

Thank you...

Chris Catfood said...

holy shit, listening now and my head is indeed spinning. thanks so much for ripping and posting this, 117 fucking tracks is a lot of work! i hope it was worth it for you, this was definitely worth the easy as pie downloading and subsequent listening and enjoying on my end. keep getting surprised with each short ass song that passes (pop punk stuff along with noisecore free jazz freakouts!? O-HO-HO-KAY!) it reminds me of CSSO at times, absolutely loving this. a million humble, grateful head nods to you sir

the wizard said...

A comment like this is all I need to validate the effort expended.

Scraps said...

Hey thank you! I've been around Mexican Power Authority a bit, but I never saw the Haiku tapes. Thank you very much! Like C.Catfood said, that's a pile of work.

Are the Haiku tapes mostly separate albums (or compilations)? I thought so, but I'm reading the notes and some of the songs on =Plus 84= it says was on =Gesundheit= too. So maybe =Gesundheit= was the original Haiku tape and then =Plus 84= was =Gesundheit= with songs added? Or not... at all? I'm confused; do I need to look for =Gesundheit= too?

Anyway, thank you again!

cheers,
Scraps

the wizard said...

I believe that all of "Haiku...Gesundheit" is contained here...but there's a LOT, so it's always possible that I missed something, haha