02 August 2021

HATE PREACHERS

 



Remember when I posted their first tape last year? This one is better. I kinda want to dissect every part of it, but it would be impossible to pull it off without sounding like a dick. I will say that "Treacherous" reminds me of a SUBHUMANS song that has never existed (but should have), and the drums in "Wrong Side" are possibly without parallel. And since I've already started...."Pain Is Entertainment" should have been a POISON IDEA song in 1987, same with "Don't Come Closer." "Deadly Present" sounds way hotter here than on the demo, total Lanchy level riffing..."Barbwire Noose" too, something about the way that opening riff descends that makes you want to jump out of a window. "Kidnapped" is untouchable California hardcore with a deadly infectious chorus, and "Trouble" makes you wonder how hardcore would be is '80s Orange County "punks" had been misanthropic freaks instead of surfers with good hooks. See? I did it anyway - fukk this band rules(ed).

No comments: