09 October 2020

POP MAGIC


Most of my comments (and posts) here are time and environment neutral. I miss shows, but I think that most of us do, so why the fuck do you need me to remind you? That said, I miss the fuck out of record stores. Hanging out in them, rapping with the employees or other diggers. Shit is fun, even if I don't leave with any nuggets. There's a store in Oakland called Contact....I like it there. Folks there hipped me to LES FILLES DE ILLIGHAHAD, bought a killer KEIJI HAINO record for cheap once, it's outside of my regular routine, but that just made it a little treat when I stopped by. Contact curated the Astral Maps mix I posted a few years ago, so I was understandably juiced when Spencer let me hold onto this Pop Magic tape put together by the same team. The title is the descriptor, and its accurate. There's an unsurprising emphasis on folk nuggets that bridge generational and genre gaps (AIRBUS, DWIGHT TWILLEY, CHRISTIE, FARGO), with some bonafide slammers from established winners like SHIVVERS, AUTOMATICS, POPPEES, 2 TIMERS). If the radio was like this, we'd never listen to records (unless we needed a hot grindcore injection, of course), and extra hails for the GERRY RAFFERTY cut chosen as the closer. Now, I need Ack Ack Ack #1 if anyone's holding. 
 

POP MAGIC

No comments: