22 October 2020

LANDFILL

 

LANDFILL are a bigger deal (to me) in retrospect than I felt at the time. As I've mentioned plenty of times, all of the bands played with all of the bands in Early 1990s Norman, Oklahoma. We didn't have a hardcore scene or a punk scene or a freak scene or a metal scene...we were all more or less freaks trying to find our way in a college town and half of the bands were just garbage indie/alt vehicles for normal dudes to get laid. But there were two death metal bands, SUBSANITY (technically and/or originally from Pauls Valley) and LANDFILL, who were based in Norman and who we played with a lot. I had no context for the genre, probably couldn't even tell you what a blast beat was, but anyone could tell that LANDFILL were a fukkn monster. RIGOR MORTIS caliber speed picking, massive vocals, and a keyboard filling the low end register normal occupied by a bass....my pea brain was blown every time I saw them. I've only come across the band (in physical form or in conversation) a few times since then, and snagged this crusher on the internet a couple of weeks back for a (very) reasonable price. Imagine my joy when I listened with context and the ears of an old man and realized that LANDFILL were even more devastating than I remembered. Only four tracks, an absolute behemoth that should have been huge, but....Oklahoma. 

Now....who wants to sell me the EP?

6 comments:

K said...

Great tape! Your early '90s Norman posts are some of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you never run out of cool shit from every genre on Earth, but thank you for sharing it all with us day after day for years. Your site remains one of the best things on the internet.

mike said...

The 7 inch record is so hard to find, no discogs listing etc. But Im almost certain it was just two songs from this demo tape maybe a very limited pressing (200) on green wax at 45 rpm. I chat with these guys every now and then so Ill get the drummer to chime in on the obscure Okie cyber grind of Landfill


Mike/Subsanity

Dr. David Clark said...

Robert,
This is DJ. I still have some of the 7 inches.

Dr. David Clark said...

And the 7 inch is up digitally on bandcamp.

the wizard said...

Yessssss -
iamtheverybadman (at) gmail (dot) com. Please drop me a lline, would love to get a 7'...only like 28 years later.
Also - hi DJ, hope you are well!