28 April 2020

STAKE


I have every expectation (and hope) that the later Time of Covid will see the release of many bands like STAKE. Information indicates that this is a two person project, though the drums could just as easily be recorded by (and as) machines to take the temperature down even further...and allow STAKE to exist wholly in one person's mind. And home. A desperation in the sound pleads for the interaction that many are now lacking, a coldness that walls off the warmth of human touch. At its roots, STAKE sound like a vaguely danceable dark punk band - but there's something special about a band when they hit you just right. I ripped this one at the very beginning of the journey into The New Reality, not knowing where the journey would lead or what the reality would be. Six weeks later....we still don't. And while I don't think the humans responsible for STAKE are prescient, somehow I feel like I will hear them on the other side. It's also entirely possible that I will listen to BGK and BORN AGAINST instead, but that's a different story line entirely. 


No comments: