23 April 2020

RETARDO MONTALBAN


I cannot imagine a world where my path intersected with this band in any scenario outside of after-the-fact bargain bin purchases or unfortunate mixed bills at the Nightbreak. Normally I would add "on tour" to that list, but bands like RETARDO MONTALBAN didn't really leave town in 1999.  It's weird to acknowledge that something has, historically speaking, literally no merit but still admit that it feeds a certain personal hunger. I mean, I was in a band called ANCIENT CHINESE PENIS. And we went on tour. Twice. So, at least in some capacity, I think I get it. 


2 comments:

FiveGunsWest said...

Nightbreak? SF? I confused it with the I-Beam when I started to comment and then remembered it as being across the street with that Stockton kid doing two and more shows a night? The Blue Hotel dude......oh, Chris Isaac. I see your pic and bio there. I was in the Ophelias, The Catheads, Slow Poisoners, A3I with Will Shatter and a bunch of other things before NY & Thunders and Dee Dee Ramone etc. Name was Ruben...spelled wrong here....super short haired guy. Just curious if we knew each other. I liked Nightbreak better than the I-Beam quite often but never played there. It was the local talent I liked. I played the Stone, Paradise, Mab, On Broadway, Fillmore, I-Beam. I remember a rememberable Fall show, Jane's Addiction, even Gene Loves Jezebel had good shows there. Be well. I so enjoy your posts and find them quite sustaining in these times.

Unknown said...

My mom would call me Retardo Montalban as a "pet name" (Read : passive insult) sometimes while i was growing up. She always acted like it was a cute nickname, when it was obviously an insult. I have Aspergers Syndrome, fun fact.