15 April 2020

I DIE IN THE LIGHT


Mysterious Guy Hardcore kinda plateaued seven or eight years ago, but there are still little nuggets from the era that I uncover every now and then. Maybe this isn't one of those nuggets - the music is too powerful to dismiss with that moniker, and the vocals owe more to '80s UK animal rights anarcho/crust - but dammit I can't even read anything on the wrap around xeroxed J-card or the lyrics insert, just the mangled text scrawled on the shell. Therefore: Mysterious. Wall/s of tortured guitars, a stark coldness to the overall approach, when they slow to a stomp (as on "III" and especially the beginning of "VI") the will to break everything is almost overwhelming, and there's a lot of PENI buried in this mysterious cassette. Plus blast beats. There's also one riff that's a dead straight PANTERA rip but I think I only notice that because I listened to Vulgar Display Of Power too much on one tour in the mid-'90s. Don't judge. Someone's gonna tell me who/what this is and I'm going to think "oh yeah, shit, of course that's who this is"...but until then, I'll just say that this shit bangs hard, and the layout/presentation is reminiscent of John Patrick McKenzie, whose art and perspective wows me to this day. 



There's a quarter hour of ominous (or....mysterious?) tape feedback and christian shit at the end of the band recording. It seriously will fuck you up if you listen at volume, and I'd say there's better than 50/50 odds that this is the result of a repurposed cassette and not "art." However, the result makes you feel queasy inside and I think that, in general terms, it's better to feel than to not feel. 
Now and at the hour of our death....Amen.

No comments: