08 September 2019

THE MARK SPARKLES


Sometimes it's like the '90s melodic punk that I hated, but then there's a tinge of SCREECHING WEASEL and I remember relentless Boogadaboogadaboogada! on tour when apparently that tape and a mix with ECONOCHRIST and BORN AGAINST were our only choices (you could do worse). There's the cover of "El Mozote" that appears just as my 21 year old tour nostalgia is kicking in, just in case I was confused about why I was thinking what I was thinking, and then I'm kinda sinking in to this 2008 demo from Seattle's THE MARK SPARKLES, and it feels comfortable, fun, and just right. A generous nod to Sacramento-styled irreverence (THE FOUR EYES, BANANAS, LIZARDS) helps this demo even more - it's not about whether or not I like it, it's about how I didn't know how much I needed it until I listened. 


No comments: