21 June 2009

T.V.O.D.


T.V.O.D. formed in 1983, gave us this six song cassette masterpiece two years later. I fucking love the shit out of this demo, it's one of my favorite accidental discoveries from a pile of tapes I got a few years back...it's almost goth, and there are times (like the verses of "War Games") where you can easily imagine this band becoming something that was not punk at all (T.V.O.D. reunited in 2002 and it appears they mostly play covers these days, although their internet page does feature a few killer tracks from other sessions that i recommend), but the way T.V.O.D. comes together is near perfect. "The Love Of War" and "Sexual Encounters with S&M" would have made a flawless EP, but I cannot track down any information about T.V.O.D. ever making it to vinyl at all, which is a total shame. It seems safe to guess that they snagged their name from the brilliant A side of The Normal's 1978 single, which was light years ahead of its time (enjoy here), but we aren't here to listen to Daniel Miller's one man electronic band, we want punk! we want T.V.O.D.!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had trouble unzipping this one - has anyone else downloaded it?

john/milwaukee

the wizard said...

i just re-zipped the files...give it another shot, everything should be fine now. oops!

Clint B said...

Whats up Wizards, I've been digging around figuring out what I've downloaded from this page, starting with the old stuff. I'm trying to comment on everything I listen to so there will be some feedback in the internet void. This is one of the best things I've heard from here so far, I too am surprised this band didn't do more. The tight punchy drums and guitar elevate it out of the grim midlands gothic ennui that it might have othertwise sunken into.

the wizard said...

greatly appreciate the comments...and I agree completely that this T.V.O.D. stuff is fantastic. I only wish I had more...

DOWN // PUNX said...

any chance of this being re-uploaded?

the wizard said...

re-zipped and re-uploaded.
Thanks for the alert.

the wizard said...

Re-Upped