It was a Pointless Fest, and honestly it might have been my first one. Maybe. Ken had mentioned MARTYRDÖD; he said they were like Swedish DBeat with tinges of black metal - this was when a "tinge of black metal" was a thing rarely mentioned in conversations about punk and hardcore bands. I bought their first record at that Pointless Fest and I was fukkn floored when I got home and dropped the needle. It was pieces of things that I knew but it was something completely different. Soon there was In Extremis on Havoc and then after Ken helped with Sekt and NO STATIK toured the west coast with them in 2011 they started working with Southern Lord and it seemed like they were being presented to a world who didn't quite understand them. Maybe the world understands them now....but I cannot imagine that world appreciates MARTYRDÖD. This is all of the things that should be in all subgenres - listen to "Tentakler" and tell me different. Elddop was released in 2014 - there are (at least) two more after this one, and they are also perfect. Thursday is MARTYRDÖD appreciation day.
No comments:
Post a Comment