18 June 2022

CALVERA

 

Fukkn wild Los Angeles punkabilly circa mid'1990s. I have no problem admitting that this is not my subgenre of choice (far from it), but this tape absolutely slams from start to finish. The bass slaps for sure, but there is never a doubt that these punks are playing punk and I am absolutely here for it. "Burning" is worth the whole tape on its own - a brooding goth punk slog that deserves a place on a short list of under appreciated should-be classics - but to hear the band launch into "Mundo Enferno" after it finishes is to hear the sound of a fire being ignited under your ass. But you have to make it past "Dead Love" before you even get to think about any of that shit, a top quality burner that will wear your sorry ass out. Every time I pop this little munchkin in the deck I get surprised all over again.


No comments: