09 April 2022

PULPIT RED

 


Sometime in the 1990s, PULPIT RED started kicking around the dark bars of Oklahoma and denizens emerged from the shadows, thirsty from a taste of that sweet elixir brewed from a mash made of classics. NYC '77 (Hell, Thunders, etc), a heavy helping of STOOGES, maybe a dash of M.O.T.O. all fermenting in a sea of Middle America humidity....it goes down like a punk rock 'n roll racket. Lurk clocks in well over an hour, with several tracks taking the time they need to fully develop. It's a fucking rock record made by some dudes in leather jackets, a record with ballads, bangers and attitude for days. Filler? Oh year, some of that too, but if you're going to give me "Zero Night" and "Hard City" then I'll take your "Baby's In Hiding" all day.  

LURK
Former MULTIPLE CHOICE bassist Ben "The Wild Man" Liman (who preceded me in MULTIPLE CHOICE) passed through their ranks, as did ANCIENT CHIESE PENIS drummer Dan Francis (aka Del Langham and/or Phil McCrevis). I would pay $25 to see this band at Kelly's on Main with TALL TALES, but that will never happen....

5 comments:

Konrad said...

I've been looking for music from a Tulsa band from over 20 years ago. I had a cassette from them but...
You wouldn't happen to have anything from Guy Smiley? They had at least one cassette.
Tanx in advance!

HarderThanYou said...

Link? Or am I just blind?

the wizard said...

Not blind....I just fucked up.
Link is active now.
(....and I'm not familiar with GUY SMILEY...)

Konrad said...

Well, nerts. If I ever do find my copy or run across another, I'll send it to you. Not punk, but you might dig it enough to want to share.

mike said...

The singer of Pulpit Red Gary is a lifer for that 1977 NYC punk rock style. A friend of mine who was older than me said that he went to school with Gary long before punk was a thing. Anyway they attended one of the high schools in Oklahoma City in 1970 and Gary was known to cause friction with the principal, always in trouble etc. So it’s 1970 and he’s teenager at the time , some friends get together and they all go see the brand new film “A Clockwork Orange “ , Gary is inspired by the crazed film. Sooo.. he shows up at the school dressed as a Droog , and not a half assed costume but ready for ultraviolence! He has the tough canvas uniform complete with the hockey style codpiece, eyeball on his wrist, eyeliner and the fake eyelash and boots. He tries to call out the principal for a fight or whatever,not sure what happened but it stirred up things a bit in OKC long ago. I’m sure it was a surreal thing to witness this 52 years ago.