01 March 2020

GENERATION 13


They were only an hour from Philly, so there's not really an excuse....but living in a tiny ass town still makes kids do weird things. I can't really decide if it's just the vocals that drive me batshit, or if I find the whole thing unlistenable (update: it's the former - the guitar tone is killer, and some of the songs are decent in an endearing and/or nostalgic way), but really these are the kind of historical artifacts that give credence to the argument that the '90s sucked. Sure, they're kinda fast sometimes, and there was nothing wrong with aping RANCID from time to time (it was 1997, and I'm pretty sure these kids had at least two GRIMPLE records between them), but ultimately this demo just sounds stale. Dated. Unnecessary. So riddle me this: Why do I keep listening? And the honest answer: Because I like it. Sigh. I think the word is "endearing." The guitar tone really is smoking though. 





1 comment:

bat29 said...

L.O.L. I played bass in this band briefly in 1997 and posted some stuff on my blog: http://noiseaddiction2.blogspot.com/2018/03/generation-13-demos-live-practice-1996.html